Archives – Major Collections
The Archives of the Railroad & Heritage Museum are extensive and include several important collections. They are a resource for researchers throughout the nation.
The museum archives and library is open to the public Monday –Friday from 10:00-4:00.
Please call or e-mail for an appointment.
Major collections include:
- Barker Collection, “First Division National Railroad Adjustment Board,” Vol. 1-168
- Childers, W.W. Collection, AT&SF engineering tracings, 10,000 aperture and micro-fish cards on the Santa Fe, maps, building records and assorted documents. (Author of Work Equipment Cars, Santa Fe Rolling Stock Reference Series Vol. 1)
- Dawson Collection, The histories of railroads in Texas.
- Fair Collection, Railroad books, corporate ephemera, timetables, passes and photographs. Many of the records and photos relate to the MP and CRI&P. (Author of The Louisiana & Arkansas Railway, The North Arkansas Line)
- Hale Collection, Railroad photographs, books, equipment diagrams, structures, annual reports, folios, aperture and microfiche cards and assorted records (AT&SF, MKT, Frisco, Cotton Belt, SP, UP, etc.)
- Houston Public Library Collection, Engineering drawings, R-O-W, Station Plats, of the A&NW, CRI&G, FW&DC, FW&NO, GH&N, GH&SA, H&TC, I&GN, NYT&M, SA&AP, SP, T&NO…
- King Collection, This is one of the most extensive collections of electric railways and street car materials in the country and contains over 100,000 photographs, negatives and slides. In addition, there are over 1,800 books pertaining to both street, electric and steam railways.
- Krave Collection, AT&SF engineering drawings of steam locomotive parts.
- Lehnis Collection, Photographs, timetables, corporate ephemera, building records, maps, Rosters for Officers, Agents, Stations Departments and Traffic Offices or Form 598 (1890 No.1 -1980s).
- McKay Collection, Brotherhood Journals, Magazines, and Monthly Bulletins, 1867-1960s.
- Pounds Collection, The most complete collections of Santa Fe employee timetables in the country. History of the AT&SF, GC&SF, depot and locomotive photographs, and standard plans. (Author of Santa Fe Depots, The Western Lines)
- Santa Fe Depot Collection, Engineering tracings and other related documents of the Southern Division between 1911 and 1979. Santa Fe survey field books, dating to the 19th century.
- Springer Collection, Railroad photographs, timetables, passes, corporate ephemera, and over 2,000 railroad books.
- Thompson Collection, Railroad books, corporate ephemera, photographs, H&TC and GH&H valuation photos, slides and timetables.
- Werner Collection, Railroad engineering tracings, R-O-W, Station Plats, representing over 45 different railroad companies across Texas (AT&SF, A&NW, GH&H, GH&SA, H&TC, I&GN, MKT,…)