May 11, 2013 is the sixth annual National Train Day. More than 200 communities around the country are expected to host events at local train stations, railroad museums and other locations commemorating this year’s theme “trains matter.” National Train Day is celebrated each year on the Saturday closest to May 10th, the anniversary of the Golden Spike ceremony in Promontory, Utah and the completion of the first transcontinental railroad.
The celebration at the Railroad & Heritage Museum will include:
- activities table sponsored by Amtrak
- drawing for a free trip on Amtrak
- tours of some of the historic train cars at the museum
- barrel train rides
- handcar rides
- Operation Lifesaver train safety activities
- crafts for families and kids
The Central Texas Area Model Railroaders will open the Moody Depot (next to the Santa Fe Depot) for visitors to view their extensive model train layouts. Come down and celebrate National Train Day with us!
National Train Day activities are free and open to the public.