The Railroad and Heritage Museum was founded in 1973 to collect, preserve and exhibit the history of the railroads and local history of Central Texas. The original collection was housed in the 1907 Moody Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe depot. In 1996, an ISTEA grant for renovating the Temple Santa Fe depot, which had been vacated by the railroad and was destined for demolition, was applied for and received. Three years later, in 1999, work on the restoration began. Dedication of the restored depot took place on July 8, 2000. The current home of the Museum is this beautifully restored depot.
“The mission of the Railroad and Heritage Museum is to collect, preserve, and exhibit the history of railroading in the Southwest United States, in order to engage a diverse audience in appreciating their heritage as a part of the foundation for their future. The Museum accomplishes this through an archives collection, exhibitions, programs, and publications that enlighten, educate, and entertain all ages.”