The Railroad & Heritage Museum offers programming for students that include a guided tour of the Rolling Stock and of the museum exhibits. Handcar rides are available for an extra fee. Tours last 1 ½ to 2 hours. School tours meet a variety of TEKS for Social Studies and Science.
$2.00 per student
Free Admission – Group Coordinator
$4.00 additional teachers and parent chaperones
$3.00 additional senior (60+) teachers and parent chaperones
Optional – Handcar rides – $1.00 per student with a minimum of 15 students. Grades PK-1 must provide 1 parent chaperone per 5 students, if class plans to ride hand cars as part of the field trip.
To schedule a school program, please contact the Museum Coordinator at 254-298-5175 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Please call early in the school year with the following information to assure your preferred date:
- School name, telephone number, mailing address, email address and contact person.
- Grade level, number of classes and number of students per class.
- Alternate dates and times in case of scheduling conflicts.
Drop Off and Pick Up
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your tour time. This allows time for unloading, group greeting and directions. Unfortunately, late arrivals may lose part of their program time.
- Transportation may pull into the parking lot west of the Santa Fe Depot to unload their group members. Group members then enter the depot from the center, track side doors.
The museum does not have dining facilities. In case of inclement weather or extreme temperatures, please make prior arrangements for lunch off site. Located adjacent to the museum is the Whistle Stop Park. Whistle Stop Park has playground equipment, tables, and bathroom facilities and is a beautiful location for picnics and group gatherings. Please call 254-298-5690 or visit Temple Parks & Leisure Services, 1909 Curtis B. Elliott Drive, Temple, TX 76501.
Links for Teachers