Bring your class to the Railroad & Heritage Museum for a field trip they’ll remember! All visits feature a guided tour of our historic train cars, including a steam locomotive, sleeping cars, and a caboose. Field trips may also include a guided tour of the indoor exhibit galleries, where the museum uses artifacts to tell the story of the railroad and Temple. For an additional fee, students 1st grade and above can ride handcars for a taste of working on the railroad.
$2.00 per person without handcar rides
$3.00 per person with handcar rides
One group coordinator receives free admission
To schedule a school program, please email Annie Muirhead at email@example.com or call 254-298-5167 between 8:30 am and 1:30 pm, Tuesday through Saturday. Please contact us early in the school year with the following information to secure your preferred date:
- Contact person, phone number, and email address
- School name, grade level, number of students, and number of chaperones
- Alternate dates and times in case of scheduling conflicts
Drop Off and Pick Up
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your tour time. This allows time for unloading, group greeting and directions. Unfortunately, late arrivals may lose part of their program time.
- Transportation may pull into the parking lot west of the Santa Fe Depot to unload their group members. Group members then enter the depot from the center, track side doors.
Many groups choose to extend their field trip with a picnic or train ride. The Railroad & Heritage Museum does not organize these activities, but will try to accommodate your plans when scheduling your tour.
- Whistle Stop Playground: Located at the end of the Museum’s parking lot, this playground contains two pavilions perfect for a picnic lunch. Call the Temple Parks and Recreation Department at 254-298-5690 to make a reservation.
- Amtrak: The west end of the Santa Fe Depot contains an active Amtrak station. Amtrak’s Temple stop is part of the Texas Eagle route. The Northbound train arrives daily at 11:25 am from Taylor, TX. The Southbound train arrives at 4:43 pm from McGregor, TX. A popular option is to take the 11:25 am train north to McGregor and meet your buses there. Call 1-800-669-8509 or submit a request at tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/grouptravel to receive a group rate. If you take the train, please be prepared for the possibility of a late departure.
Links for Teachers